A direct cremation takes place completely separately from the personal farewell. Your loved one will be taken by us to the crematorium. The coffin will be placed on the catafalque, the chapel attendant will supervise and then the coffin will be committed for cremation.
What is a direct cremation?
Why would I want a direct cremation?
Increasingly, some families wish to avoid many of the costs associated with a traditional funeral. This may be driven by:
- A financial need.
- A desire not to have a funeral service but a memorial service instead.
- A lack of religious commitment.
- A desire to spend the associated costs elsewhere.
- A private preference – such as made by the late David Bowie.
How does it work?
We will take all the key information we need to start the arrangements and answer any questions you may have.
We will confirm everything with you by email or by post if you wish.
Arrange to meet
One of our team will arrange to meet you in person to complete and sign all the necessary paperwork to allow the cremation to take place. At this point we will also need to take payment in full.
What do you provide for £900?
Funeral costs consist of the Funeral Director Fees and those disbursement fees paid on your behalf such as crematorium and doctors’ fees.
Included in the costs are:
- Daytime transfer from a hospital or coroner’s mortuary within 25 miles.
- Completion of all documentation.
- Doctors’ fees where they apply.
- Unattended cremation fees
- Suitable simple coffin, in standard size, with nameplate.*
- Option to collect cremated remains from the crematorium or scatter in the Garden of Remembrance (unwitnessed).
- No viewing.
Total Cost: £900 inclusive of disbursements. (Full payment in advance)
We understand that our clients may want a more bespoke service so we have a range of services that you can add onto your package if required.
Where a collection is required from a private home, nursing home or hospice – £240.00
Return of ashes, delivered by us – £75
A chapel visit at one of our sister company branches – £250
Where an individual requires a coffin over 6’4” or 22” in size a further charge of £125 will apply.
There is no procession, limousines, embalming, arranging of floral tributes or collection of donations. This list is illustrative and not exhaustive.
To all at Hampshire Funerals, just a quick note to say many thanks for all that you have done for my mother’s funeral arrangements and to say what an excellent service we were given.
Sharon, Meon Valley